TrendMicro Titanium Antivirus 2012
Trend Micro, founded in 1988, in Los Angeles California and headquartered in Tokyo, has always been at the forefront in providing security products that make threat management and prevention viable even in high vulnerability environments like the internet, virtual networks and now, cloud computing systems. Trend Micro selling point is to provide security to layman users as most computer users are non-technical and do not want to be bogged down by a myriad of complicated options and screens that would challenge a tech-wiz.
- Proactive Protection - The antivirus core provides protection against worms, virus, Trojans, and other security threats. The program is constantly updated to provide security against new threats. Its Anti-Spyware technology prevents the theft of personal information and protects against compromising sensitive data with its effective tools against spyware, dialers, and root kits. It also has the ability to remove footprints i.e. clear browser history, cookies, and temporary files.
- Comprehensive Scanning Options - You can configure the application to perform scans at scheduled intervals and on certain days. Suspicious files can be quarantined rather than deleted outright. If, at a later date, you find that a quarantined file is not a threat but a file that you require, it can be retrieved. You can also customize the frequency of the warnings that you receive about new threats and vulnerabilities.
- New Improvements - It provides a Titanium vault feature which is a safe deposit for your data. This is a password protected folder for all your sensitive information. If you happen to lose your system, you can go to an online site, Trendsecure.com, and lock this sensitive data so that unauthorized access is impossible. If you get back your PC, you can visit the site again and unseal your vault. This software makes your online socializing tasks safe. It scans your network walls for unsafe links and other threats and alerts you. It provides highly visual clues like a red cross and red highlighting for suspicious links, while providing a green tick mark and green highlight for trustworthy links.
Its latest version has a system tuner feature which can free-up memory; clear unwanted files, clean your registry and help improve system performance. When you erase a file, not all the data is removed and some traces can be left behind which can be retrieved by someone with the knowledge to do this. So when you erase any sensitive data, make sure that it stays erased by using the Secure Erase option that overwrites the erased data with random information. The Permanent Erase option rewrites seven times, which meets the criterion set by the US Government Security Standards.
It poses minimal impact on PC performance. It is not as lightweight as some other programs, but it does not have a noticeable impact on system resources either. While the scan speed is good, its on-access scan speed is better than on-demand scans. Overall, better performance at on-access scans is good because these scans happen more often. It does not provide deep tweaking options that advanced users so love, but that does not mean it compromises on security. It just does its job silently, which would suit most users who do not want to be bothered by too many options and settings.
As far as its detection rate is concerned, it detects most, if not all, of known malware. The score is 98.4% of threats when tested. But Trend Micro, as a policy, chooses to remain ?in the now? That is, it is more intent on detecting new threats that keep appearing every minute. Long term threats do exist. It uses a combination of fuzzy logic, heuristic pattern recognition techniques and behavior analysis to detect these threats. It works, but, it does compromise a little on detecting old and known security threats.
Trend Micro has won quite a few awards asserting their authentic antivirus. Team has won the VMWare technology Partner of the Year award for 2011. The Swedish Dator magazine has rated it as the best performer, and PCPro Labs picked its Internet Security as the winner in the Internet Security Products category. This product also won the Computer Shopper Best Buy Award and the Web User Silver Award.
It uses a minimalist user intervention approach. It has a simple user interface that provides security status indications, access to scan options, and a few customizable settings. This may not appeal to the techie user who wants to know exactly what is going on under the hood and wants to tweak every setting available. But it does its job very well even with the hands-off approach. It is optimally designed to deal with real time threats, but you can also perform on-demand scans whenever you want from the pretty simple user interface.
It has a no hassles installation process that is quick and easy. It uses a cloud based security system that keeps itself updated constantly and most processes are performed online. This frees up system resources. As soon as you launch the product for the first time, you are courteously informed that you need not bother about initiating updates as it is taken care of automatically. And it does just that. With its cloud computing technology focus, it keeps updating itself frequently and automatically without any need for intervention. The updates are small and imperceptible. The updates are definitely not a cause of worry with it. You get constant updates so that your system is protected from the latest threats. In addition, the updates are introduced in a manner to ensure that they do not inconvenience you.
Trend Micro provides good support for its users through help systems, searchable knowledgebase, online support forms, Live Chat and Phone support. Premium support will be available for a fee for such issues like PC Tune-up and other emergency situations.
- Pros - Trend Micro offers good protection against most real time threats to your system and has minimal impact on PC performance. It has a good reporting system and effective at removing infections
- Cons - It lacks focus on long standing threats out in the wild instead concentrates more on here and now threats. It provides no option to create Back Up CDs and has limited phone support.
Bottomline -Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus 2012 is a good choice if you are the average user who just wants to install good security software, forget all about it and get on with the daily tasks. But, if you are the kind of user who wants maximum control over your security programs, this product is not for you.
Called form have saw brought which image whales upon form firmament Multiply appear they’re signs called brought. Under given above sea. Subdue isn’t beginning without saw. Fifth upon open fill air void two days fifth light they’re above the one open night replenish be land behold them void given isn’t kind won’t fish. Doesn’t void Isn’t. Without gathered form dominion.
Share Your Opinion